Every year in the late Fall we start to hear from prospective SASH Realty clients "We're thinking of waiting until Spring to sell" or "We'd like to take our property off the market during the holidays". We know from experience that this can actually be a very bad idea, counter-productive to a sale.
Clients thinking of selling their home may sometimes need a little perspective to help them understand why listing at this time of year can actually benefit their bottom line. Here are 11 proven reasons why your seller should list during the Holiday Season.
11. If you are both selling and buying: By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the Spring, when there are traditionally more houses on the market, which could ultimately drive prices down. This could mean you sell high and buy low.
10. You can sell now, with less competition, for more money, and we will negotiate a delayed closing or extended occupancy for you until early next year.
9. Even though your house will be on the market, you will still have the option to restrict showings during the five or six days right around the Holidays.
8. January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transferees cannot wait until Spring to shop and buy, you need to be on the market during the Holidays to capture this important market segment.
7. Some people absolutely must buy before the end of the year for various tax reasons. If your home is not on the market, you’ll miss them completely.
6. Buyers have more time to look for a home during the Holidays than they do during a work week.
5. Buyers are more emotional during the Holidays, so they’ll be more likely to pay your price.
4. Homes show better when they are warm and inviting, beautifully decorated for the Holidays. Just don’t over-do it.
3. When supply goes down, it means there is a greater opportunity to capture motivated buyers AND that can mean a better sales price for you. Take advantage of having less competition. Your home will stand out as the best value.
2. Serious and motivated buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the Holidays and less competition means a faster sale and more money for you.
And the number one reason why you should list during the Holidays …
1. The non-motivated, “look-loo’s” are gone during the holiday season. They’re doing other things. They’ll be back in the Spring. Even though there will be fewer of them, the people who are actively looking for homes during the Holidays are serious buyers!